Jermall Charlo to Defend Interim Middleweight Title in Hometown of Houston
Interim WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo will defend the title against Brandon Adams in Houston this weekend.
Updated: June 26, 2019 • 9:43 PM ET
Brandon Adams is looking to end Jermall Charlo's unbeaten reign.
In his hometown of Houston, interim WBC middleweight champion Jermall Charlo will be back in action this Saturday when he defends the title against Brandon Adams at NRG Arena.
Looking to defend his belt for the second time, Charlo (28-0, 21 KOs) most recently defeated Matvey Korobov by unanimous decision in December. The 29-year-old earned the title last April with a second-round knockout of Hugo Centeno Jr., and he previously held the IBF super welterweight title, defending the belt three times before moving up to middleweight.
Nevertheless, Charlo is patiently waiting for his shot at WBC 160-pound champion and fan favorite Canelo Alvarez.
“It’s definitely not frustrating,” Charlo recently said via Boxing Scene. “I’m living the best life I can possibly live right now. I’m young, I’m very healthy, I have my family, I have my closest friends, I have my trainer, Ronnie Shields.
“We’ll handle the situations as they come. Right now, we’re focused on Brandon Adams. I’m locked, I’m loaded, I’m ready. I’m ready to put on the best performance I have in me.”
The Houston native said he’ll fight for the town he calls home on Saturday.
"I'm making history for Houston with this fight," the champion said via the Houston Chronicle. "That's my ultimate goal: To deliver something to Houston that they haven't had in a long time. Houston deserves a champion, and I want them to know they have one in Jermall Charlo."
A win on Saturday could set Charlo up for a fight against Alvarez, but fans have clamored for a third fight between Alvarez and former champion Gennady Golovkin. Consequently, Charlo may have to wait for the outcome of that fight first.
Adams (21-2,13 KOs) has won four straight fights, the most recent being a unanimous decision over Shane Mosley Jr. He has rebounded well since losing to John Thompson by second-round TKO in 2015. After the loss, Adams competed in the reality television series “The Contender,” which kept him away from the ring for three years. He dominated the tournament and gained many new fans in the process.
The 29-year-old Californian said things changed after the loss to Thompson.
“After that fight, I was destroyed,” Adams recently said via Premier Boxing Champions. “I didn’t want to look in the mirror. I felt I let my family down.
“I noticed everybody pretty much disappeared. The only people that were there were my wife, my trainer Dub [Huntley]…the circle around me got extremely small. I didn’t feel like I could rely on anybody. I was told by the promoter, ‘Stay ready, we’ll give you a call.’ I waited for two years.”
You Might Also Like
Adams believes The Contender was the best thing for him after the devastating loss.
“I thought this would be a way for me to speak out about what happened to me [on the business side],” Adams said. “That way, I can be a messenger to whoever needs to hear, to be cautious and alert and figure out as much information as they can.”
Adams added, “Stay tuned. Watch it. I’m gonna bring it and I hope he comes with his best, because I plan to.”
• The main card can be seen on Showtime this Saturday at 9 p.m. ET.